Practice Areas

Schedule a No Obligation Consultation

Call Us At (314) 645-6666


Fill out the form below

Employment Lawyer

Other Practice Areas

There are a variety of employment cases we handle, but Pleban & Petruska fights for employees. Our lawyers will help you navigate the problems you face during a no-obligation consultation. It is important that you contact Pleban & Petruska to protect yourself. For state claims, you must file a charge of discrimination within 180 days of any adverse employment action or your claims will be forever barred. Our aggressive strategies have helped employees keep their jobs and recover damages when wrongfully terminated. Short time limitations are in place for these claims, so it is important you contact us as soon as possible.

Employment Law Case Results

$3,600,000 wrongful termination verdict.
$900,000 sexual harassment settlement.

More Case Results

Discrimination & Retaliation

Discrimination and retaliation can take many forms. It is illegal to discriminate against an employee because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, age or disability. In addition, an employer cannot discriminate against a pregnant employee. Discrimination occurs when an employer fails to hire, discharges an individual, or takes a variety of adverse actions against an employee for these reasons. In addition, an employer can be liable for discrimination with respect to compensation, terms, conditions or privileges of employment due to individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, age or disability.

Retaliation occurs when an employer takes an adverse employment actions (e.g. discharge, demotion, etc.) after an employee complained about discrimination or hostile work environment. There must be a causal relationship between the complaint of discrimination and the adverse employment action.

Harassment/Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment is where an employee (male or female) is subjected to unwelcome conduct either of a sexual nature or because of a protected status such as race or gender. In order to have a case, the harassment must have affected a term, condition or privilege of employment in a manner that created a hostile work environment. The employer must also have known (or should have known) of the harassment and failed to take proper action.

Wrongful Discharge

In Missouri, no employee can be discharged because of that individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, age or disability. In addition, an employee cannot be fired because she is pregnant.

Employers also cannot terminate employees for refusing to violate the law or any well mandated public policies. In this same light, the employer cannot terminate an employee for reporting wrongdoing.


If you have reported serious misconduct to a supervisor and are later fired, you may have protection as a whistle blower. Call us to help analyze your potential claim.

Administrative Proceedings

Often times, terminated or suspended public employees have remedies through their employers. Union employees may also have grievance and arbitration rights. These proceedings often have short windows requiring the employee to file an appeal within days or weeks of the termination or suspension. Don’t sit on your rights; call us today.

Free Speech/False Claims Act

The First Amendment provides public employees the right to free speech. However, that freedom is not unlimited, as you have to be speaking as a private citizen about a public concern. Free speech claims require a close legal analysis to determine whether or not your rights have been violated.

The False Claims Act imposes liability on persons and companies who have engaged in fraud against the government. If you are aware of individuals or companies defrauding the government, contact Pleban & Petruska. We will help you file a complaint, which will be investigated by the Government. The Government can then pursue a claim against the company or individual. A whistleblower who brings a False Claims Act case is typically entitled to a percentage of what the Government recovers, which can be substantial.

Other Practice Areas

Submitting Your Information